Stephen is the vicar of Christ Church, the community church of Virginia Water in Surrey, England.
Originally from Lowestoft in Suffolk (the most easterly point in England), he became a Christian at university (1973-1976). After graduation, he served for four years as an evangelist and student counsellor with Agape in the UK and Eastern Europe (1976-1980). In 1980 he was accepted for training for the Anglican ministry and studied at Trinity College, Bristol (1980-1983).
He was ordained in 1983 and has served as a curate in St Leonard’s on Sea, Sussex (1983-1986) and then appointed Curate-in-Charge, then eventually Rector of St John’s, Stoke, Guildford in Surrey (1986-1979). He was appointed vicar of Virginia Water in 1997 where he now leads a staff team of ten and church family of about 500 drawn from 25 or more different nationalities and church backgrounds.
Stephen is Vice Chair of Biblica Europe Ministries Trust. Biblica has completed more than 100 languages, and is the translation sponsor and ministry publisher of the New International Version (NIV), the most widely read and trusted contemporary English translation.
He is an Advocate (trainer) for the Christianity Explored Course and has assisted with the launch of the Buganda, Swahili and French translations in Uganda, Kenya, Burundi and South Sudan, as well as the Polish translation in Poland.
Among his external commitments, he is:
- Patron of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-UK)
- Patron of Sadaka – the Ireland Palestine Alliance
- Trustee of Friends of Sabeel UK
- Founding member of the Institute for the Study of Christian Zionism (ISCZ)
- Advisory Council of Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding (EMEU)
- UK Board of Reference for the Mar Elias Institutions, in Ibillin, Galilee
- Member of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign
- Planning Committee for the Christ at the Checkpoint 2010, 2012 and 2014 conferences.
- Founding member and Steering Committee of the Balfour Project
- Drafting Committee of Kairos Palestine: A British Response
- Abela Publishing
- Awareness Foundation
- Anglican Media Sydney
- Anglican Mainstream
- Balfour Project
- Bethlehem Bible College
- Burrswood Hospital
- Decision Magazine
- Diocese of Guildford
- Elam Ministries
- Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding (EMEU)
- Evangelicals Now
- Friends of Sabeel UK
- Kairos Britain
- Kiwoko Hospital, Uganda
- Impress Books (Dan Cohn Sherbok)
- Inter Varsity Press (IVP)
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-UK),
- Lapido Media
- Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust
- Methodist Recorder (Kairos Palestine)
- Tearfund NZ
- The M.E. Trust
- Times of Israel
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC)
- Plain Truth Magazine
- Sabeel Jerusalem
- Surrey Life
- The Stones Cry Out Movie (Yasmine Perni)
- With God on our Side (Porter Speakman Jr)
His extensive photo collections may be viewed here
In 2004, he co-authored the statement Challenging Christian Zionism endorsed at the 5th International Sabeel Conference in Jerusalem.
In 2006, he co-authored the Jerusalem Declaration on Christian Zionism for the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem.
He is a contributor to Bridges of Faith, the international Evangelical-Muslim Dialogue Group. He has attended and contributed to their four annual consultations in Chicago, Tripoli, Pasadena and Toronto.
Stephen gained his BA in Geography from Sussex University in 1976, a Diploma in Higher Education (Dip HE) in 1983 from Trinity College, Bristol, and his MTh (with distinction) from Oxford University in 1994. In 1998 he was awarded a doctorate of membership in Action Learning (DPhil) by International Management Centres Association (IMC). In 2004 he was awarded a PhD by Oak Hill College and Middlesex University. His thesis examined the historical roots, theological basis and political consequences of Christian Zionism in Britain and the USA from 1820.
Stephen has served as an external examiner for post-graduate degrees (MPhil and PhD) awarded by the University of Wales, the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (OCMS) and also Tyndale-Carey Graduate School, Bible College of New Zealand – now Laidlaw College.
He is the author of three books, In the Footsteps of Jesus and the Apostles, (Eagle, 2004) Christian Zionism: Roadmap to Armageddon (IVP, 2004) and Zion’s Christian Soldiers: The Bible, Israel and the Church (IVP, 2007). His books have been translated into Arabic, Farsi, Korean and Spanish. He also writes occasionally for various journals and magazines.
From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s). Fair Play?