Stephen is the vicar of Christ Church, the community church of Virginia Water in Surrey, England.
Originally from Lowestoft in Suffolk (the most easterly point in England), he became a Christian at Sussex University (1973-1976) while studying for a degree in geography. After graduation, he served for four years as a student counsellor with Agape in the UK and in Eastern Europe (1976-1980). In 1980 he was accepted for training by the Anglican Church and studied theology at Trinity College, Bristol (1980-1983).
He was appointed vicar of Virginia Water in 1997, where he now leads a staff team of twelve and an international church family of about 500 drawn from 25 different nationalities.
Stephen is Vice Chair of Biblica Europe Ministries Trust. Biblica has completed more than 100 languages, and is the translation sponsor and ministry publisher of the New International Version (NIV), the most widely read and trusted contemporary English translation.
He is a trainer for the Christianity Explored Course and has assisted with the launch of the Buganda, Swahili and French translations in Uganda, Kenya, Burundi and South Sudan, as well as the Polish translation in Katowice, Poland. His church has helped sponsor the forthcoming Arabic edition.
Among his other external commitments, he is:
- Patron of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-UK)
- Patron of Sadaka – the Ireland Palestine Alliance
- Trustee of Friends of Sabeel UK
- Founding member of the Institute for the Study of Christian Zionism (ISCZ)
- Advisory Council of Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding (EMEU)
- UK Board of Reference for the Mar Elias Institutions, in Ibillin, Galilee
- Member of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign
- Planning Committee for the Christ at the Checkpoint 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 conferences.
- Founding member and Steering Committee of the Balfour Project
- Drafting Committee of Kairos Palestine: A British Response
Stephen produces a book and film review programme for Aletejah TV called ‘Enlightenment’ broadcast on Wednesdays at 14:00 GMT. See also the Arabic website Al-Etejah. You can also watch Aletejah on the internet here.
Interfaith and Human Rights
In 2004, he co-authored the statement Challenging Christian Zionism endorsed at the 5th International Sabeel Conference in Jerusalem.
In 2006, he co-authored the Jerusalem Declaration on Christian Zionism for the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem.
He is a contributor to Bridges of Faith, the international Evangelical-Muslim Dialogue Group. He has attended and contributed to their four annual consultations in Chicago, Tripoli, Pasadena and Toronto.
Stephen gained his BA in Geography from Sussex University in 1976, a Diploma in Higher Education (Dip HE) in 1983 from Trinity College, Bristol, and his MTh (with distinction) from Oxford University in 1994. In 1998 he was awarded a doctorate of membership in Action Learning (DPhil) by International Management Centres Association (IMC). In 2004 he was awarded a PhD by Oak Hill College and Middlesex University. His thesis examined the historical roots, theological basis and political consequences of Christian Zionism in Britain and the USA from 1820.
Stephen has served as an external examiner for post-graduate degrees (MPhil and PhD) awarded by the University of Wales, the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies (OCMS) and also Tyndale-Carey Graduate School, Bible College of New Zealand – now Laidlaw College.
He is the author of three books, In the Footsteps of Jesus and the Apostles, (Eagle, 2004) Christian Zionism: Roadmap to Armageddon (IVP, 2004) and Zion’s Christian Soldiers: The Bible, Israel and the Church (IVP, 2007). His books have been translated into Arabic, Farsi, Korean and Spanish. He also writes occasionally for various journals and magazines.
Photography and Press
- Abela Publishing
- Awareness Foundation
- Anglican Media Sydney
- Anglican Mainstream
- Balfour Project
- Bethlehem Bible College
- Burrswood Hospital
- Decision Magazine
- Diocese of Guildford
- Church Times
- Elam Ministries
- Embrace the Middle East
- Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding (EMEU)
- Evangelicals Now
- Friends of Sabeel UK
- Kairos Britain
- Kiwoko Hospital, Uganda
- Impress Books (Dan Cohn Sherbok)
- Inter Varsity Press (IVP)
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD-UK)
- Lapido Media
- Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust
- Methodist Recorder (Kairos Palestine)
- Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC)
- Plain Truth Ministries (PTM)
- Sabeel Jerusalem
- Spiritual Counterfeits Project (SCP)
- Surrey Life
- Tearfund NZ
- The M.E. Trust
- Times of Israel
- The Stones Cry Out Movie (Yasmine Perni)
- With God on our Side (Porter Speakman Jr)
His extensive photo collections may be viewed here
From time to time this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s). Fair Play?